Mini Berry Galettes with Lemon Whipped Cream
- 1 package (2 crusts) refrigerated pie crusts
- 2 cups fresh mixed berries*
- 5 tablespoons, divided Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch
- Pinch Kosher salt
- 1 egg
- Lemon Whipped Cream
- 1 cup very cold heavy cream
- 1/3 cup Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 lemon, zested
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Let refrigerated pie crust soften at room temperature for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small mixing bowl, combine mixed berries, 2 tablespoons sugar, cornstarch, and a small pinch of salt.
- Unroll pie crusts on a lightly floured surface and using a 4 1/2" round cookie cutter, cut out circles of dough. You should get 4 circles per dough, for a total of 8. Place mini pie crusts on baking sheets and top middle each one with about 1/4 cup of berry mixture, leaving edge of crust bare. Fold edges towards center of crust, overlapping and pressing dough together a bit at creases to help maintain its shape.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg with 1 teaspoon of water. Brush the pie crust with the egg wash and sprinkle the entire galettes (including top of fruit) with the remaining 3 tablespoons of sugar.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until galettes are golden brown.
- While galettes are baking prepare the Lemon Whipped Cream. In the bowl of stand mixer or in a medium mixing bowl fitted with an electric hand mixer, beat the cream, powdered sugar, lemon zest, and vanilla on medium/medium-high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Remove galettes from oven, let cool slightly, and serve warm with lemon whipped cream.
Imperial Sugar Insight
NOTE: Chop large fruit, like strawberries, into bite-sized pieces. Raspberries and blueberries can remain whole.
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Chris Cockren at Shared Appetite.