Mississippi Mud Cake
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, soft
- 2 cups Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 cup cacao powder
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 jar marshmallow crème
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 6 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 4 cups or 1 pound Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk or half and half
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line a 9 x 13 inch pan with parchment paper or butter the pan. Set aside.
- Cream butter until soft. Add sugar and cacao powder. Add eggs one at a time and mix in between. Scrape well. Add vanilla.
- Sift together flour, baking soda and baking powder and mix into above. Scrape batter into prepared pan and bake for approximately 35 minutes or until cake starts to shrink away from edges.
- Meanwhile, prepare frosting by combining all ingredients mixing with an electric beater until light and fluffy.
- Remove cake from oven and immediately spread marshmallow cream on surface. Let cool or immediately spread frosting on top of marshmallow and create a muddy effect. Let cool before cutting.