Mocha Chocolate Crackle Cookies
- 2 cups + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour*
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon instant coffee
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Dark Brown Sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 3/4 cup Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Sift together flour and baking powder and set aside.
- Chop chocolate and place in bowl with oil and salt. Heat over double boiler until chocolate is melted. Remove from heat. Using a rolling pin crush instant coffee until powdered. Add to above. Allow to slightly cool until lukewarm. (Chill in freezer.)
- Add both sugars and whisk in eggs one at a time.
- Add flour and mix until combined. Place in refrigerator until firm, about 2-3 hours.
- Line cookie sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Shape chilled dough into tablespoon size and drop in powdered sugar. Make into round balls and roll generously into sugar.
- Place on cookie sheets about 2 inches apart.
- Place in oven and bake until cookie bounces back when lightly pressed in center, about 12-13 minutes.
Generations have grown up making chocolate crackle cookies. This modern twist on a beloved classic adds coffee extract for a rich mocha flavor. Crackle cookies have tender, fudgy insides and crispy, crackly outsides.