- 2 cups + 2 tablespoons (320g) Glutinous rice flour
- 1 3/4 cups (230g) tapioca starch
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups (300g) milk, at room temperature
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup (150g) Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons (56g) butter, melted
- A few quarts of frying oil such as peanut oil
- 3 tablespoons raspberry fruit spread
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 cups (240g) Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 tablespoon freeze-dried raspberries or strawberries, crushed (Optional)
- Cut 20 pieces of parchment into 4-inch squares. On only one square, draw with a heavy marker a circle of 3 inches in diameter. This piece will be used as a “guide.” Set aside.
- Set aside a piping bag with a medium plain (round) pastry tip.
- Sift together glutinous rice flour, tapioca starch, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a bowl large enough to hold all ingredients whisk together milk and eggs. Once well blended add sugar, vanilla, and melted butter. Using a wooden or rubber spatula stir in dry ingredients and mix until batter is smooth.
- Fill about 1/4 batter into piping bag.
- Eight dollops of batter will be piped in a circle on each piece of parchment paper. Place a parchment paper square on “guide” piece of parchment paper.
- Pipe a generous teaspoon of batter on top of circle, then one on bottom (visualize a clock where you start at 12 then 6, then 3 then 9 and then pipe a dollop in between the before mentioned numbers. Now you have a ring where each dollop of batter touches the other.
- Continue with remaining dough.
- Heat frying oil in a fryer, wok, or a deep pan and heat to 350°F.
- Place doughnuts upside down (parchment paper up) into oil. After about 80-90 seconds flip upside down. After about 60 seconds flip over again and remove parchment paper using metal tongs.
- Flip once more and place on paper towels. Repeat process.
- Prepare glaze by whisking together raspberry fruit spread or jam with powdered sugar, water and freeze-dried fruit if using. Depending on brand of fruit spread and personal preference, add more water or powdered sugar.
- Dip surface of doughnuts into glaze.