Moist Certainly Delicious Vanilla Cupcakes
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, soft
- 1 1/2 cups Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 8 egg yolks, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Optional but good: 2 teaspoons finely grated zest of lemon or orange
- 3/4 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Sift together flour and baking powder and set aside. Place 16 cupcake baking cups in a muffin tin and set aside.
- Cream butter until light and fluffy. Add sugar and mix until very creamy. Add one egg yolk at a time waiting for previous added yolk to be fully incorporated. Scrape bowl often and mix until light and fluffy.
- Add vanilla extract, salt and grated zest if using.
- Add 1/3 of dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Scrape well and mix briefly. Add 1/2 of room temperature buttermilk and mix until combined, scrape well and mix briefly.
- Repeat with another 1/3 of flour and remaining buttermilk scraping well in between. Add remaining flour and mix until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Fill paper cups 3/4 full, do not overfill as this may cause poor rising.
- Place in oven and bake until the center of cupcakes spring back when lightly pressed with a finger, about 22-25 minutes. Some pans are smaller and others are larger so time may vary.
- Top with frosting of choice.
Bake these the day of your party for optimum results. Once baked and cooled you can add a delicious surprise by coring the cupcakes using an apple corer. Then fill the indention with fruit, jam or lemon curd. Frost these moist cupcakes with Basic Butter Cream Frosting.