Molten Mocha Java Cakes
- Small amount butter and granulated sugar for preparing ramekins
- 8 ounces best quality chocolate, 63% cocoa
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour*
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Evenly brush 6 ramekins with melted butter. Sprinkle evenly with granulated sugar and set aside on a cookie sheet.
- Chop chocolate in small pieces and place in a bowl along with butter. Place over a saucepan filled with one inch water and bring water to a low simmer. Continually stir chocolate until just melted. Remove from heat and add vanilla, salt and instant coffee, set aside.
- Best done using a machine: Whip eggs until frothy, add sugar and whip for approximately 10 minutes or until eggs mixture is mousse-like and pale.
- Add melted chocolate mixture and mix gently until combined. Mixture will collapse some which is normal.
- Sift and add flour and mix just until combined.
- Scoop batter 3/4 full into ramekins. Place on a cookie sheet.
- Either bake immediately or place in refrigerator for later baking. If placed in a refrigerator remove 2 hours before baking.
- Bake for 8 minutes until center molten cake feels slightly gelled. Even if slightly underbaked the cakes will be delicious.
- Serve in ramekin or run a knife around edge and turn upside down onto plate. If desired serve with vanilla, coffee or chocolate ice cream.