Morning Glory Muffins
- 1 cup all-purpose flour*
- 1 cup whole wheat flour* (or same amount of all-purpose flour)
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 2 cups finely grated carrots
- 1 large Granny Smith apple
- 2/3 cup coconut flakes
- 2/3 cup pecan or walnut pieces
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 2/3 cup olive, avocado, peanut, or other oil
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup orange juice or water
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Butter and flour 16 muffin tin cavities or line paper cups and set aside.
- Sift together flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and ginger. Set aside.
- Peel apples and cut in 4 wedges. Remove core and cut each wedge lengthwise in 4. Cut crosswise in 8 pieces to obtain small apple pieces. Combine in a bowl with carrots, coconut, nuts, and raisins. Set aside.
- In a bowl whisk oil and eggs together until well blended. Add vanilla and juice.
- Add dry ingredients in one step and using a rubber spatula mix briefly. Batter should look insufficiently mixed. Over-mixing will make muffins rubbery.
- Place in oven. Bake until center of muffins bounce back when lightly pressed with a finger, about 20-23 minutes.
Muffins made with whole wheat flour will rise a little less, but will still be moist.