- 4 cups apple or pear cider
- One 750 milliliter bottle dry red wine of choice*
- 1/4 cup brandy
- 1/4 cup Imperial Sugar Light Brown Sugar
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 orange, zested and juiced
- 4 whole cloves
- 3 star anise
- Cinnamon sticks for garnish, optional
- Combine cider, wine, brown sugar, cinnamon sticks, orange zest, orange juice, cloves, and star anise in a large saucepan.
- Over low heat, gently simmer for 30-45 minutes. Stir occasionally. Do not let mulled wine boil or even bubble. Allowing heat to go too high will cook out the alcohol.
- Ladle into wine glasses or mugs and serve warm with a cinnamon stick for a garnish.
- Any leftover mulled wine can be refrigerated in a covered container and rewarmed when ready to serve.
Imperial Sugar Insight
*Cabernet Sauvignon, Syrah (Shiraz), Grenache, Merlot, and Malbec are all good choices. Look for a dry, fruit-forward wine. Wines with high tannin levels add flavor and firmness to the mulled wine.
Rate & Review
Log in or Register to post comments