Mummy Red Velvet Cupcakes
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- (2 sticks) unsalted butter, soft at room temperature
- 2 1/4 cups Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons liquid red food color
- Party size chocolate bar such as Twix
- 1/2 cup Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 bag large marshmallows
- 1 small tube black icing gel
- 1/2 cup Imperial Sugar Gold 'N Natural Turbinado Sugar
- Cream Cheese Frosting
- Rolled Fondant
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place 28 cupcake liners in a cupcake or muffin tins and set aside.
- Sift together flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt and set aside.
- In a large bowl beat butter until light and fluffy. Add sugar and vanilla and mix well.
- Add eggs one at a time waiting for previous added egg to be fully incorporated.
- In separate bowl whisk together buttermilk, sour cream and red food color, add half of mixture to above. Mix in half of dry ingredients and once incorporated add remaining sour cream mixture. Once well blended add remaining dry ingredients..
- Scoop into the paper cups about 2/3 full. (Depending on the size of the cups you may be able to make more)
- Place in oven and bake until the center of the cupcakes bounce back when lightly pressed with a finger or an inserted toothpick comes out clean, about 20-22 minutes.
- Prepare cream cheese frosting. Spread cream cheese frosting over the surface of the cupcake, about 1/4 inch thick.
- Sprinkle powdered sugar onto a work surface and onto a handful of rolled fondant. Roll out rolled fondant slightly thinner than 1/8 inch. While rolling, sprinkle with powdered sugar to prevent it from sticking.
- Cut strips of about ¼ inch in diameter using a pizza cutter wheel and a ruler or hold your pizza wheel next to your rolling pin as a guide.
- “Wrap” the Twix candy with rolled fondant strips in an overlapping fashion. Place on a cupcake with “toes” of the mummy slightly hanging over the cupcake edge.
- Place a small nugget of fondant on top of the Twix for the mummy’s head support.
- Using a pair of scissors cut a “mouth” into the bottom half of the marshmallow. With scissors cut “teeth.”
- Place head onto the cupcake and top of the Twix rolled in fondant. If needed, “glue it” using some additional frosting.
- Pipe eyes and nose with black icing gel. Sprinkle the cream cheese frosting with Turbinado sugar to simulate sand.
- An additional strip of fondant can be added starting from the body and draping down the cupcake to simulate unwrapping.
Rate & Review
Log in or Register to post comments