Napoleons with Pomegranate or Berries
- 1 package (17.3 oz) frozen puff pastry
- 2 cups whole milk
- 4+4 tablespoons Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 4 large egg yolks
- Pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2/3 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons berry or almond liquor (optional)
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds or 2 cups berries
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Set aside 2 cookie sheets lined with parchment paper or lightly buttered.
- Thaw puff pastry for a few minutes at room temperature. When pastry is still very cold cut pastry along fold lines.
- Cut each strip of dough crosswise in 3 equal pieces and place on cookie sheets.
- Place in oven and after 10 minutes drop oven temperature to 375°F.
- Bake for another 15 minutes or slightly longer until deep golden brown. Puff pastry cannot be underbaked or it will not be flakey and crispy.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- Prepare pastry cream by bringing milk and 4 tablespoons sugar in a saucepan to boil.
- In a separate bowl whisk egg yolks, salt and remaining 4 tablespoons sugar until thick and pale, about 2 minutes. Add vanilla and cornstarch.
- When milk comes to a boil add about one fourth of milk to yolk mixture. Whisk rapidly. Pour yolk mixture into remaining milk and using a whisk bring to a boil.
- Whisk vigorously to prevent burning, once cream is thick as pudding remove from heat. Place a piece of plastic food film directly onto cream and place in a large bowl filled with iced water.
- Whip cream and sugar to medium and not stiff peaks.
- Remove pastry cream from iced water and ensure cream is cold before proceeding. Add liquor if using.
- Whisk cream until very smooth. Add whipped cream and fold delicately using a spatula.
- Using a spoon fill cream on one pastry half. Scatter some pomegranate seeds or berries onto cream and top with another pastry half.
- Decorate with more fruit and sprinkle with powdered sugar.