Norwegian Cream Cake
Norwegian Cream Cake
- 4 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 cups Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
Cake Moistening Syrup
Filling and Finishing
- 1 container (16 oz) strawberries
- 1 container (6 oz) raspberries
- 3 cups whipping/heavy cream
- 5 tablespoons Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Few cherries (optional)
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Butter and flour two 8 or 9-inch round baking pans. For full proof removal of cakes, line bottom of pan with a parchment paper circle. Set aside.
- Using a stand mixer fitted with whip attachment whip eggs and egg yolks for 1 minute. Add sugar, vanilla, and salt. Whip until mixture is very light and pale, about 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile sift together flour and baking powder and in a small saucepan or microwave oven proof bowl combine milk and butter. Heat over stove until almost boiling and set aside. Using a microwave oven heat for 90 seconds.
- Stop mixer and add flour mixture. Mix using a hand whisk or in very low speed until combined, do not overmix.
- Add one third of heated milk and combine on low speed, add another third and, once combined, add remaining amount.
- Divide equally into prepared pans and place in oven. Bake until center of cakes bounces back when lightly pressed with a finger or an inserted toothpick comes out clean, about 27 to 30 minutes
- After 5 minutes turn cakes upside down onto a plastic food film, parchment, or kitchen towel. Allow cakes to cool.
- In a saucepan bring sugar and water to a boil. Place in freezer to cool and add liqueur.
- Wash and remove stems of strawberries. Towel dry. One third of strawberries and raspberries will be used to decorate top. Cut two thirds of strawberries crosswise in slices about 1/4-inch thick. Set aside.
- Slice each cake horizontally in half and place a layer on a serving platter. Brush or spoon a quarter of liqueur syrup evenly onto cake.
- Whip whipping cream, sugar, and vanilla in a cold bowl to medium almost firm peaks. Spread slightly less than a quarter of cream onto cake layer.
- Place some strawberries and raspberries onto cream and top with a cake round.
- Moisten with a quarter of syrup. Repeat with quarter of cream and fruit and continue building cake. Ensure to moisten each layer before spreading with crème.
- Finish surface of cake with a thin layer of cream. Fill a piping bag fitted with a large star tip with remaining cream and pipe a border of rosettes on edge.
- Decorate cake with remaining fruits.