Onion Thyme Jam
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 large sweet onions, cut into 1/4- inch dice (about 6-7 cups)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 3/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a large pot, heat butter and olive oil over low heat until butter is melted. Add onions and cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until golden brown and caramelized, about 20-25 minutes, adjusting heat as needed so onions don't burn.
- Add dried thyme and cook, over low heat, just until thyme is fragrant. Sprinkle sugar evenly over onions and cook, without stirring, until sugar melts. This will take anywhere from 5-10 minutes. Don't stir or the sugar will clump! When sugar is melted, increase heat to medium-high and again, cook, without stirring, until an amber-color caramel forms, about 5-8 minutes.
- Stir in white wine vinegar and simmer over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until vinegar reduces and jam thickens, about 10 minutes. Remove jam from heat and season with salt and pepper. Let jam cool before storing, covered, in the refrigerator for up to a week. Jam can be served warm or room temperature.
Imperial Sugar Insight
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Kelley Epstein @Mountain Mama Cooks.