- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour*
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter or olive oil
- 3 tablespoons concentrated or regular orange juice
- 3/4 cup Imperial Sugar Light Brown Sugar, packed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons orange zest, no white bitter pith
- 1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate (50-55% cocoa mass content)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup pecan pieces
- 2 mandarin oranges
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 320°F. For easy removal from pan, line parchment paper on bottom and sides of an 8 x 8-inch square pan. Alternatively, spread melted butter on bottom and sides. Set aside.
- Sift together flour and baking soda and set aside.
- In a saucepan large enough to hold all ingredients combine butter or oil, juice and brown sugar. Stir to a boil. Remove from heat and stir in salt, orange zest, chocolate, and vanilla and mix until well combined.
- Rapidly stir in eggs until well blended.
- Add flour mixture and stir to combine. Add pecans.
- Spread batter into pan and bake until center of brownies feels slightly firm when pressed with a finger, about 27 minutes.
- Once cooled remove from pan and cut in desired pieces.
- Decorate with mandarin orange segments.