- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 egg
- Zest of one orange
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg and blend well. Stir in orange zest and orange juice.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Add to batter in three additions, blending well after each addition.
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap and chill for at least one hour or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Roll dough into small balls, about 1/2-inch in diameter. Gently flatten and sprinkle with sprinkles.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, being careful not to brown the tops. Let cool for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
This classic recipe first appeared in the Homemade Good News Cookbook Vol. XI.