Orange Cookies with Orange Glaze
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cardamom or 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- Zest of 1 orange
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 1/2 cups Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Sift together flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, salt, and cardamom or cinnamon and set aside.
- Mix soft butter and sugar until fluffy. Add the egg and beat until light.
- Add dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Scoop dough into tablespoon amounts and make into a ball. (Does not have to be perfect.) If it sticks too much, place dough briefly in the freezer.
- Place 2-inches apart on parchment lined cookie sheets and press 1/4 inch thick.
- Place in oven and bake until edges are barely golden, about 9 minutes or slightly longer. Cookies will collapse which is normal.
- For frosting combine orange zest, orange juice and powdered sugar and drizzle over cooled cookies.
NOTE: Cardamom gives these cookies a Scandinavian flair, or use cinnamon for a more holiday-themed flavor profile.