- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon fresh orange zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Heat milk in medium saucepan until hot but not boiling.
- While milk is heating, add sugar and cornstarch to mixing bowl. Whisk together.
- With an electric mixer or by hand, whisk egg yolks into sugar mixture until pale yellow.
- Whisk in orange zest, orange juice, and vanilla.
- Remove milk from heat.
- While whisking/mixing on low, very slowly pour heated milk into egg mixture. Mix slowly until combined.
- Pour mixture back into sauce pan and place over medium heat.
- Heat and whisk continuously for 5 minutes, until custard has thickened to consistency of thick pudding.
- Once thick, remove from heat and whisk in butter.
- Pour custard into large bowl. Cover with plastic wrap, pressing plastic wrap onto top of custard to prevent skin from forming.
- Chill for at least 4 hours before serving.