- 1 1/2 cups Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- 5 eggs, room temperature
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 12 ounces evaporated milk
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a medium saucepan add sugar and orange juice. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until sugar melts and turns a light golden color. Approximately 15 minutes.
- Carefully divide sugar between two 9-inch pie plates. Carefully tilt pie plates to evenly coat bottom and sides of pie plates. Set aside.
- Combine eggs, sweetened condensed milk, evaporated milk, salt, vanilla extract, and cream cheese in a blender and blend until completely smooth.
- Equally divide mixture between pie plates with caramelized sugar.
- Place each pie plate into a larger baking pan (a roasting pan works well). Pour hot water into empty pan around outside of pie plates to create a water bath.
- Bake for about 45 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Transfer flan to a wire rack to cool. Transfer to refrigerator to chill for a minimum of 4 hours.
- Prior to serving, run a knife around edge of dish. Invert dish onto serving plate.
- Garnish with fresh orange slices and mint if desired.
Imperial Sugar Insight
NOTE: This recipe makes TWO large flans made using two separate 9-inch glass pie plates.
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Paula Jones @bellalimento.
Rate & Review
Log in or Register to post comments