Orange Nut Fudge
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons grated orange rind
- 3 cups Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup light cream
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2/3 cup walnuts, chopped
- Melt butter in a heavy saucepan. Remove from heat and add orange rind. Stir into butter to release oils.
- Add sugar, cream, cream of tartar and orange juice. Stir to blend.
- Place saucepan over low heat. Stir until sugar dissolves and mixture comes to a gentle boil. Cover, and cook for three minutes. Remove cover and cook until soft ball stage (234°F to 240°F), stirring occasionally. (If crystals form on sides of the pan, gently brush sides with a damp cloth wrapped around a fork.)
- Remove from heat, and let cool until lukewarm, about 20 minutes. Add lemon juice and nuts and beat until thick and creamy. Spread evenly in a buttered 8-inch square pan. Cool and cut into squares.