Overnight Sweet Pickled Green Beans
- 2 1/4 cups distilled white vinegar
- 3 cups water
- 6 tablespoons Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 4 teaspoons pickling salt
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 teaspoons dill seed, divided
- 2 teaspoons mustard seed, divided
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper, optional
- 8 sprigs fresh dill
- 24 ounces green beans, washed and trimmed
- Clean and sterilize 4 pint-size jars; set aside.
- Combine vinegar, water, sugar, and salt into a medium-sized sauce pan. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer until sugar and salt dissolve, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Meanwhile, place one clove of garlic, 2 sprigs of dill, 1/2 teaspoon dill seed, 1/2 teaspoon mustard seed, 1/4 teaspoon black peppercorns, and an 1/8th teaspoon of crushed red pepper (if using) into each jar.
- Fill jars with the washed and trimmed green beans.
- Carefully pour cooled vinegar/water brine over green beans until the beans are fully submerged. It's okay if some of the tips aren't covered.
- Cover jars with a clean lid and ring and let them cool to room temperature on the counter for an hour or so. Transfer to to the fridge where beans will keep for up to 1 month. It's normal if the beans change color.
- Beans are best if they can sit for a day or two before enjoying.
Imperial Sugar Insight
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Kelley Epstein @Mountain Mama Cooks.