Patriotic Sugar Cookie Cups
Sugar Cookie Cups
- 2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened slightly
- 3/4 cups Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 2 cups Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 (13 oz) tub marshmallow fluff
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- Red and blue gel food coloring
- Red, white and blue star sprinkles
- Red, white and blue sugar pearl or nonpareil sprinkles
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray inside cavities of 12 cups in a muffin tin with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Use a fork or whisk to blend the flour, salt, and baking powder together in a bowl. Set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Stir in egg and vanilla extract until well incorporated.
- Add dry ingredients and stir just until combined.
- Equally divide batter in muffin tin scooping about 2 tablespoons into each.
- Gently flatten dough pressing down in center creating a cup.
- Bake for 14 minutes then remove and use a pie stamper or back of a wooden spoon to gently flatten just center of each cookie.
- Return to oven for 4-6 minutes until cookie is baked through and edges are golden brown.
- Set muffin tin on a wire cooling rack and run a thin plastic spatula or metal knife around edge of each cookie cup.
- Allow cookies to cool for 15 minutes then carefully remove them from muffin tin and allow them to cool completely.
- While cookies are cooling, prepare marshmallow frosting. Beat shortening, butter, powdered sugar, marshmallow fluff, vanilla, and whipping cream until light and fluffy.
- Divide frosting into 3 bowls.
- Color one bowl of frosting using red gel food coloring.
- Color another bowl using blue gel food coloring.
- Keep the remaining frosting white.
- Spoon about 1/3 cup of each color frosting into individual disposable 12-inch pastry bags.
- Snip tip off of a red, a blue, and a white bag.
- Insert those three pastry bags into a larger 18-inch pastry bag that is fitted with a large, open star tip.
- Pipe big swirls of red, white and blue frosting onto each cookie cups.
- Refill pastry bags as needed to frost all of your cookie cups.
- Toss on some red, white and blue sprinkles if desired.
Recipe created for Imperial Sugar by Beth Jackson Klosterboer at Hungry Happenings.