Peach Cobbler Cupcakes & Whipped Cream Icing
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, soft
- 1 1/2 cups Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 8 egg yolks, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Drain first listed can of peaches and keep 4 tablespoons of juices. Cut each peach slice in 5 pieces crosswise.
- In saucepan combine cut peaches, retained juice, and remaining listed ingredients for peach cobbler filling. Stir to boil and turn to simmer for 2 minutes, mixture will be thicken due to cinnamon.
- Remove from heat and place in refrigerator to cool.
- For cupcake batter sift together flour and baking powder and set aside. Place 24 cupcake baking cups in a muffin tin and set aside.
- Cream butter until light and fluffy. Add sugar and mix until very creamy. Add one egg yolk at a time waiting for the previous added yolk to be fully incorporated. Scrape bowl often and mix until light and fluffy.
- Add vanilla extract and salt.
- Add 1/3 of dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Scrape well and mix briefly. Add 1/2 of room temperature buttermilk and mix until combined, scrape well and mix briefly.
- Repeat with another 1/3 of flour and remaining buttermilk scraping well in between. Add remaining flour and mix until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Pour chilled peach cobbler mixture into cupcake batter and swirl around.
- Fill paper cups 3/4 full and place in oven and bake until center of cupcakes spring back when lightly pressed with a finger, about 22 -23 minutes. Some cupcake pans are smaller and others are larger so time may vary.
- While baking remove pie crust from refrigerator and using a 1-inch diameter round (or other design) cutter cut dough to obtain as many cutouts as possible.
- Place on cookie sheet, brush lightly with water and sprinkle with granulated sugar. Once cupcakes are removed from oven place in oven and bake until golden brown, about 18 minutes. Set aside.
- Cut remaining peaches crosswise in half and place in refrigerator.
- When cupcakes have cooled whip cream, vanilla extract and sugar in cold bowl until firm peaks form. Once cream makes firm peaks stop whipping as it will turn into butter.
- Fill a pastry bag fitted with a large star tip with whipped cream and pipe a circle around surface of cupcakes.
- Fill with 1-2 pieces of sliced peaches and top with a prebaked piece of pie crust. Sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired.