Peach Dumplings with Brown Butter Caramel Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 3 tablespoons Imperial Sugar Light Brown Sugar, packed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 can (8 oz) refrigerated crescent rolls
- 1 fresh peach, cut into 8 slices and peeled
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup lemon lime soda (Sprite, 7Up)
Brown Butter Caramel Sauce
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup Imperial Sugar Light Brown Sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup heavy cream, room temperature
- Pinch of sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease an 8x8 baking dish. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon granulated sugar on bottom of baking dish. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine light brown sugar and ground cinnamon. Mix together and set aside.
- Pop open can of crescent rolls and gently spread dough out on a flat surface. With a sharp knife score perforated lines. Take brown sugar cinnamon mixture and sprinkle across dough, evenly spreading it out.
- Starting from widest edge of dough, roll a peach slice up and gently secure edges.
- Place flat in prepared baking dish. Repeat process with all peach slices and crescent rolls.
- Next, in a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Once melted, add 1/2 cup granulated sugar and vanilla extract. Whisk together until well combined. Then evenly pour mixture over top of dumplings. Finally, take lemon lime soda and pour it around edges of pan.
- Bake for approximately 40 minutes, until tops of dough are nice and golden brown.
- Prepare brown butter caramel sauce while dumplings are baking. In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, add unsalted butter. Allow butter to melt and begin to foam. Swirl pan from time to time to prevent butter from burning. Once butter begins to turn amber and creates a nutty smell, remove from heat.
- Pour browned butter into a bowl and set aside to cool. Thoroughly wash saucepan and dry before continuing to make caramel sauce.
- Once this is done, heat pan over medium heat and add sugar. Swirl pot occasionally as sugar melts. Continue to do this until sugar is completely melted. This should take approximately 5 minutes.
- Next, whisk in browned butter and remove pan from heat. Carefully drizzle heavy cream into sugar mixture whisking simultaneously. The mixture will bubble violently, but continue to whisk through this reaction. The bubbling will subside and caramel will come together. Add pinch of sea salt and whisk together. Remove caramel from heat completely and allow to cool while dumplings continue to bake.
- Once dumplings are finished baking. Serve fresh out of oven, with ice cream, if desired, and a hearty drizzle of homemade brown butter caramel sauce.
Imperial Sugar Insight
- Defrosted frozen peach slices can be used in place of fresh. Directions remain the same.
- Best served fresh out of the oven with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on the same day as you bake them. They do not store well to be eaten later.
- Recipe can easily be doubled, just use a prepared 9x13 baking dish in place of an 8x8 baking dish.
- Store any leftover caramel sauce in an airtight container, in the fridge, for up to 2 weeks.
- Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Jessica Segarra @TheNoviceChef.
Rate & Review
Log in or Register to post comments