Peach Upside Down Cake
- 1 1/2 cups Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cup milk
- 1 cup well packed Imperial Sugar Light Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 4 fresh peaches, peeled and sliced into wedges
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- In a bowl, with an electric mixer, mix sugar and butter until creamy. Mix in vanilla and eggs.
- In a large bowl combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Whisk together. Add flour mixture to sugar and butter mixture. Whisk in milk until smooth.
- Add 1/2 cup butter to 9-inch cast iron skillet. Place skillet into oven to melt butter. Once butter is melted, remove from oven and stir in brown sugar until smooth.
- Arrange peach slices on top of brown sugar mixture. Pour cake batter over peaches. Bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cake cool for 1 minute. Place a serving plate on top of cake and flip upside down.
- Let stand 1 minute and then remove skillet. Slice and serve warm.
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Angie Barrett @BigBearsWife.