Peanut Butter Crust Ice Cream Sundae Pie
Peanut Butter Crust
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, soft
- 3/4 cup peanut butter, unsweetened
- 1/2 cup Imperial Sugar Light Brown Sugar or Imperial Sugar Dark Brown Sugar, packed
- 1/3 cup Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups milk
- 2 cups Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- Pinch salt
- 4 cups whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips or chopped from bar, about 3 ounces
- 1 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Handful fresh or Maraschino cherries
- Few pistachios or peanuts
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- For crust sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Mix butter and peanut butter until smooth. Add brown sugar and powdered sugar. Mix until well blended. Add egg and vanilla and mix until well combined.
- Add flour in one step and on low speed mix until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Press dough evenly flat onto a sheet of plastic food film. Place dough in refrigerator or freezer for at least 30 minutes or until well chilled.
- Meanwhile chill work surface area that you will be rolling dough on by placing 1-2 cookie sheets filled with ice cubes on area. Set aside an 8 or 9-inch-deep pie pan
- Set oven to 385°F. Sprinkle chilled area lightly with flour and roll dough into a circle large enough to cover entire pie pan. Place dough into place and remove excess. Press dough into any cracks or tears. Prick bottom and sides using a fork. Place in oven.
- After 5-6 minutes of baking check crust. If bubbles developed prick these using tip of pairing knife or fork. After a total time of 12 minutes in oven reduce oven temperature to 350°F. Bake until golden about 20-22 minutes. Time will depend on if using a glass, metal, or earthenware pie pan. Once cooled place in freezer.
- Prepare ice cream by brining milk, sugar, and salt to a full boil. Remove from heat and place in an ice bath until very cold. Add whipping cream and vanilla extract.
- Make certain mixture is very cold before churning. Churn to ice cream makers directions.
- Scoop ice cream into pie shell and return to freezer promptly.
- For chocolate sauce, if not using chocolate chips, chop chocolate in small pieces. Bring water with sugar to a boil. Remove from heat and add chocolate. Whisk smooth and set aside. Sauce can be reheated over double boiler or microwave when needed.
- Decorating/finishing pie is best done right before serving as whipping cream and cherries would become rock hard if placed on pie and then placed in freezer.
- Remove pie from freezer and decorate edges with whipped cream. Top with chocolate sauce, cherries, and nuts.