Pecan Pie Brownies
Pecan Pie Topping
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Dark Brown Sugar, packed
- 1/2 tablespoon all-purpose flour*
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, cut into slices
- 1/2 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 cups pecans, chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Prepare an 8 X 8-inch baking dish with parchment paper.
- In a large microwave safe bowl, combine butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, cocoa powder and salt.
- Microwave in 30 second-intervals, stirring well between each interval, until butter has melted. This should take between 60-90 seconds.
- Allow mixture to cool for about 5 minutes to ensure it is not so hot as to cook eggs.
- Stir in vanilla extract. Add eggs, one at a time, fully incorporating between each addition. Stir until batter is thick and shiny.
- Add flour and chocolate chunks, then stir until batter is well combined and shiny.
- Batter will be thick. Use a spatula to spread batter evenly.
- Bake for about 33-37 until a toothpick shows brownies are done.
- When brownies are almost done baking, begin making topping.
- In a large pot, mix together dark brown sugar and flour. Stir in heavy cream, butter, and maple syrup.
- Bring mixture to a boil over medium heat, stirring often. Once it starts to boil, turn heat down to low and cook for 7-8 minutes, stirring frequently. Careful not to allow sugar mixture to burn.
- Remove from heat and stir in chopped pecans and vanilla. Once combined, immediately pour over brownies.
- Allow to cool to room temperature, then move to refrigerator for a couple of hours or overnight before cutting and serving.
Imperial Sugar Insight
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Jessica Segarra @TheNoviceChef.