Pecan Pie Cake
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour*
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted very cold butter
- 3 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Pecan Pie Filling
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups, well packed Imperial Sugar Dark Brown Sugar
- 1 tablespoon + 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups pecan pieces or halves
Milk Chocolate Cake
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, very soft
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 large egg yolks + 2 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place flour in a large bowl. Using a box grater, grate very cold butter onto flour. In a small bowl, combine buttermilk, salt, sugar, and vanilla extract. Add to flour mixture and combine briefly until dough forms. Place in freezer for about 10 minutes or until cold enough to roll.
- Meanwhile prepare pecan pie filling by briefly whisking eggs and milk. Melt butter until liquid, but not boiling, and whisk in along with vanilla extract. Whisk in brown sugar and flour. Set aside.
- Set aside a springform pan and a cupcake pan. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a circle 3 fingers wider than the bottom of pan.
- Place dough into pan and press onto sides about three fingers high. Scatter in pecans followed by pecan pie filling. Place in oven and bake until center of pie no longer trembles and feels set, about 40-45 minutes.
- Near the very end of the baking process start preparing the cake layer. Sift together flour and baking soda and set aside. Bring water to a boil and pour onto chocolate. Whisk smooth and add salt. Set aside.
- Using a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment or a large bowl with hand handheld mixer, mix butter until creamy. Add sugar and mix well. Add one egg yolk at a time and mix until well combined.
- Add chocolate mixture and mix until light and creamy while scraping in between.
- Add 1/3 of buttermilk, and once combined, add 1/3 of flour. When batter is smooth, repeat with buttermilk and flour. Repeat a third time. Stop mixing once batter is silky.
- In a separate bowl, whip egg whites until medium firm peaks form and fold into above batter.
- The cake batter makes slightly too much for the dessert to bake properly, therefore, pour 3/4 of batter onto baked pecan pie and return to oven until an inserted toothpick comes out clean, about 45-50 minutes. Pour remaining cake batter into cupcake liners or a lightly greased muffin pan. Place in oven and bake until center of cupcakes bounce back when lightly pressed, about 20 minutes.
- When pecan pie cake has cooled spread surface with ganache and decorate with candied pecans.
Imperial Sugar Insight
NOTE: The mouth feel is extraordinary and a bit candy bar-ish, but not as heavy.