Pecan Pie Macarons
- 4 .5 ounce (1 3/4 cups) almond flour or meal
- 7. 5 ounce (2 cups minus 3 tablespoons) Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- Pinch salt
- 4 ounce (1/2 cup) egg whites (no yolk traces)
- 1 ounce (2 tablespoons) Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 3-5 drops yellow food color in gel or paste form (optional)
- 1 can (14 ounce) dulce de leche
- 2/3 cup pecan pieces
- Optional: 2 teaspoons cognac or brandy
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Set aside either 2-3 cookie sheets lined with silicone baking mats or lined with parchment paper.
- Fit a pastry bag with a 1/2 inch (Ateco 806) plain round pastry tip and set aside.
- Combine almond flour/meal, powdered sugar and salt in a food processor and mix until almond flour feels super fine. Set aside.
- In a bowl whip egg whites and granulated sugar to very stiff peaks.
- Stop whipping and immediately add food color and almond meal mixture. Using a rubber spatula mix until the batter is smooth but do not overmix to avoid making the batter too runny. The batter should be like thick pancake batter.
- Fill the pastry bag with filling and pipe 1 1/2 inch diameter dome shaped mounds onto prepared sheets about 1 inch apart. Macarons will spread a little just after piping.
- Allow macarons to sit at room temperature for 20 minutes before placing in the oven. However, if you notice that the macarons are still spreading and not holding their shape place immediately in the oven.
- Bake for about 20-23 minutes or until you can lift one up from the baking sheet without tearing it apart. If you see golden or light brown color develop on the surface they are completely done.
- Allow to cool on the sheets they were baked on.
- Combine dulce de leche with pecan pieces. Add Cognac if using. Flip half of the macarons upside down.
- Spoon a tablespoon of dulce de leche/pecan mixture in center. Cover with a macaron.
- Store macarons in an airtight container on the lower shelf of the refrigerator. Remove from refrigeration 30 minutes before serving. Best consumed within 3-4 days.