- Prepare an 8x8-inch pan by buttering and covering with 2 strips of parchment paper for easy removal.
- In a large saucepan, combine brown and granulated sugar with milk and bring to a boil over medium-high heat stirring continuously. Once boiling reduce heat to medium and continue cooking mixture, without stirring, until it reaches the soft ball stage, 238°F.
- Remove saucepan from heat and add the butter, vanilla and maple extract, but do not stir. Let the mixture cool undisturbed until it reaches 110 degrees F, about 20 minutes.
- Once mixture is cool, stir until it turns creamy, and just starts to thicken, then add nuts. Working quickly, pour into prepared 8x8-inch pan.
- Place candy in the refrigerator for 2+ hours to chill and harden. Cut into squares and serve.
NOTE: Soft ball stage can take anywhere from 5 - 12 minutes. At this stage, a small amount of syrup dropped into cold water will form a soft, flexible ball. If you remove the ball from water, it will flatten like a pancake after a few moments in your hand.