- 2 1/8 cups all-purpose flour* or 1 7/8 cups gluten-free flour
- 2 sticks (16 tablespoons) unsalted butter, slightly soft
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Few drops red food color, gel type
- 10-12 ounces dark chocolate, chip or bar cut into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil such as avocado, olive or peanut
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Sift flour and set aside.
- Mix butter, salt, and powdered sugar until very well combined and lump-free, but not until light and fluffy. Mix in vanilla. Add sifted flour and mix just until combined. Do not over-mix.
- Remove about 1/3 cup of dough and make it red by adding a few drops of red gel food color. Press it 1/4-inch thick on plastic food wrap. Divide remaining dough in 2 equal pieces. Press about 1/4-inch thick on plastic food wrap. Place all dough in freezer for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2-3 cookie sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Using either all-purpose flour or gluten-free flour roll plain dough approximately 1/8 inch thick. Cut circles about 1.5-inches in diameter. Place on cookie sheets. Cookies will not spread much in oven.
- Roll red dough very thin, about 1/12-inch thick and cut small circles. Place on center of cookies.
- Place in oven until edges are lightly golden, about 10-12 minutes.
- Place chocolate and oil in a microwave-safe bowl and heat in 10-second increments until melted. Stir often.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon mint extract to begin and taste intensity. Add more if desired. Place chocolate bowl in a bowl filled with ice cubes. Stir chocolate constantly, once it shows signs of slight thickening remove it from ice.
- Spoon a generous teaspoon of chocolate onto one cookie and top with another.
- If chocolate gets too firm place it briefly in a microwave oven. If overheated chill on ice once more.
- Place a teaspoon measuring spoon upside down onto cookie covering a red circle. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and remove spoon.
This recipe has been tested with successful results using Gluten-Free Measure for Measure Flour by King Arthur Baking Company.