Peppermint Hot Cocoa Truffle Starters
- 2 bags (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 20 candy canes, crushed*
- 1/2 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- Pinch salt
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 candy canes, crushed*
- Pour chocolate chips into a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
- In medium pot, combine candy canes, sugar, salt and cream, bring to a boil.
- Immediately pour cream mixture over the chocolate chips and stir until smooth and silky. Allow to cool to room temperature.
- Cover and refrigerate to solidify.
- Scoop out golf ball size portions and roll into a rough ball shape then roll in crushed candy canes.
- To turn truffle into hot cocoa, melt it in 10-12 ounces of hot milk, or half and half if you are feeling very decadent.
You can mix it up a bit by replacing the candy canes with 1/2 cup granulated sugar and keep it plain or add natural oils and extracts such as orange or raspberry. Keep the oils to about 1/2 teaspoon or less to taste and extracts to about twice that much. Let your imagination run wild!
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Carrie Fields @fieldsofcake.