Pineapple Angel Food Cake
- 1 can (20 oz) sliced pineapple
- 2/3 cup preferably cake flour or all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 cup + 1/2 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup egg whites (from about 7-8 large eggs), no yolk traces
- 1 1/4 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Drain pineapple very well and place on paper towels to dry. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line a 9 X 13-inch baking pan with parchment paper. Fit pineapple slices on bottom of pan and set aside.
- Sift together flour and first listed 1/2 cup sugar. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whip on medium speed, egg whites, second 1/2 cup sugar, cream of tartar, vanilla extract, and salt. Whip to medium peaks and make sure not to whip egg whites to dry-stiff peaks! Stop whipping.
- Using a rubber spatula, gently fold in flour/sugar mixture to retain a light fluffy batter.
- Spread onto pineapple slices.
- Place in oven and bake for 35-40 minutes or until cake bounces back when lightly pressed with a finger and an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Allow cake to turn a deep golden brown before removing from oven. Cake will initially rise and near end of baking start the shrink slightly.
- After 20 minutes of cooling time, turn pan upside down onto a serving platter.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar and, if desired, serve with ice cream or Crème Chantilly.