- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 5 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 (20 ounce) can diced pineapple, drained
- Fresh pineapple or additional can diced pineapple for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- To prepare caramel sauce, bring to a boil sugar and water in a saucepan over high heat, stir once to incorporate sugar. Once sugar water mixture boils, reduce heat and allow to cook for five minutes or until syrup turns to a caramel color.
- Carefully pour caramel into an 8-inch round cake pan swirling pan to coat with caramel sauce. Place cake pan into a larger roasting pan.
- To prepare flan, use a blender and add sweetened condensed milk, heavy cream, eggs, egg yolks, vanilla extract, and drained diced pineapple. Blend until smooth. Pour flan mixture into caramel prepared cake pan. Place roasting pan with cake pan into oven, carefully fill pan halfway with warm water to create a water bath for the flan.
- Bake for 1 hour, or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Carefully remove roasting pan from oven, remove cake pan from roasting pan and allow to cool for at least 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, cover with plastic film and place in fridge to chill for at least 3 hours or overnight.
- When ready to serve, carefully run a sharp knife around cake pan to loosen flan, place a larger plate over cake pan and flip over to release flan. Serve garnished with fresh pineapple or additional canned diced pineapple.
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Vianney Rodriguez @sweetlifebake.com