- Peel pineapple, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Remove core using a round cookie cutter or knife. Cut crosswise in 1/4-inch-thick wedges/pieces.
- Measure 3 cups of pineapple pieces and place in saucepan. If you have enough pineapple to make another (fourth) cup you can do so. For every additional cup of pineapple add 1/4 cup sugar.
- Add sugar to saucepan and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce to a low simmer. Stir occasionally.
- Simmer mixture until majority of liquid has evaporated. When tilting pan, only about 3 tablespoons of liquid should drain to bottom and be visible.
- Add vanilla extract and let cool.
- Stir and place in jar. Keep refrigerated for up to a week or store in freezer. (This fruit spread cannot be canned and stored at room temperature because it does not contain enough sugar to safely preserve.)