Pineapple Meringue Pie
- 4 pasteurized egg whites
- 6 tablespoons Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- Soften gelatin by sprinkling gelatin over water in a small cup. Mix and set aside.
- On top of a double boiler, combine eggs, sugar, and pineapple juice. Whisk constantly over medium heat. Let come to a bubble, about 5 minutes.
- When mixture starts to bubble, add butter, one piece at a time. Whisk constantly until butter has melted before adding another piece. When mixture is thick, add softened gelatin and stir until dissolved.
- Strain curd through a sieve and stir in crushed pineapple. Pour mixture into prepared pie crust and let chill for at least 3 hours.
- To make meringue, add egg whites to a heatproof bowl and whisk with a hand electric mixer over a pan of simmering water. Beat on medium-high until they start to thicken, then gradually add in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until mixture is glossy and peaks are easily held (about 5 minutes).
- Add meringue to the top of pie. Brown edges with a kitchen torch if desired.
This recipe first appeared in A Barrel Full of Imperial Recipes cookbook.