Pistachio Ice Cream Sandwich Cookies
- Pistachio Ice Cream
- 1 1/4 cups shelled pistachio nuts
- 3/4 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup pistachios, coarsely chopped
- Sugar Cookies
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup chopped pistachios for rolling
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Prepare Pistachio Ice Cream - Grind the 1 1/4 cup pistachios in a food processor. They should be finely ground, but not a paste.
- In a large saucepan, heat milk, sugar, and 1 cup of cream over medium heat. Stir to dissolve sugar. Stir in ground pistachios. Cover, remove from heat, and let sit for at least 30 minutes.
- Strain warm nuts mixture, pressing nuts to remove as much liquid as possible. Throw away the nuts. Put liquid back in saucepan.
- In a separate bowl pour remaining 1 cup of heavy cream. Cover bowl with a strainer. Set aside for later.
- In another bowl whisk egg yolks. Slowly pour warm milk mixture into egg yolks, stirring constantly. Pour back into the saucepan.
- Stir constantly over medium heat with a heatproof spatula until mixture thickens and coats the spatula. Scrape bottom when stirring.
- Pour custard through the strainer and into cream. Add vanilla and almond extract. Stir to combine.
- Refrigerate until cold. Pour into an ice cream maker and freeze according to the directions. Once finished churning, fold in 1/2 cup pistachios. Store in airtight container in freezer.
- Prepare Sugar Cookies - Preheat oven to 400°F. Prepare baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer, beat butter until smooth. Mix in powdered sugar until fluffy. Add vanilla extract. Slowly mix in flour and baking powder until well combined.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface. Roll to about 1/2-inch thick. Use a 2- or 3-inch circle cookie cutter (a drinking glass works well) and cut out cookies.
- Place cookies on a baking sheet and bake for 7-8 minutes until just turning golden on the edges. Remove from oven and place cookies on a wire rack to cool completely.
- To assemble, place a scoop of pistachio ice cream on one cookie. Top with another cookie and gently press together. Roll the edges through chopped pistachios.
NOTE: You may have extra cookies depending on the size of your cookie and how much ice cream you place in your sandwich cookies.
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Erin Sellin @Dinners, Dishes & Desserts.