- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- In a mixing bowl of a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, combine water with yeast. Add flour, salt, oil, and sugar.
- Mix on low speed until just combined and smooth, about 2 minutes. Remove Paddle attachment and cover bowl with plastic wrap. Set aside for 20 minutes.
- Remove plastic and fit machine with dough hook. Mix dough on low to medium speed until dough becomes elastic and cleans sides of bowl, about 5 minutes. Dough temperature cannot exceed 80°F or it will become sticky and impossible to handle.
- Remove from machine and keep covered with plastic until nearly doubled in size, about 45 minutes.
- Pitas will puff flawlessly when baked on a pizza stone or cast iron pizza plate. Place either option in oven set to 485°F. Otherwise bake pita on cookie sheets lined with parchment paper. (Cookie sheets are not placed in oven yet.)
- Divide dough in 10 equal pieces.
- Using a very small amount of flour, shape dough into round balls and cover with plastic food wrap for 5 minutes.
- Remove 2-3 dough pieces from underneath cover. Dough is elastic and will pull back quickly when being rolled. Therefore, using a rolling pin, roll one piece of dough about 3-4 inches in diameter and then start on second piece and then third. Go back to first piece and roll to 7 to 8-inch circles.
- Place on well-floured paper or kitchen towels or on parchment lined cookie sheets. Cover with plastic and continue with remaining dough pieces.
- Let dough pieces rise for about 20 minutes. If using a stone or cast iron pan, gently place pita dough upside down on a lightly floured pizza peel. Slide directly onto hot stone/pan and bake until part of pita shows signs of a few golden areas, about 7-8 minutes.
- If using cookie sheets place in oven and bake until part of pita shows signs of a few golden areas, about 8-9 minutes.
Imperial Sugar Insight
- Pita must be baked in a very hot oven to ensure puffing. Open and close oven door quickly to retain heat as much as possible.
- NOTE: Select flour with 4 grams/protein on nutrition facts label.