Pralines and Irish Cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 teaspoons instant coffee
- 2 tablespoons whiskey
- 2 cups milk
- 5 tablespoons well-packed Imperial Sugar Dark Brown Sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 large egg yolks
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour*
- 1/4 cup well-packed Imperial Sugar Dark Brown Sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 stick very cold unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup whipping or heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons chocolate, chips or chopped from a bar
- 2 teaspoons corn or peanut oil
- Candied pecans
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Combine vanilla, instant coffee, and whiskey; set aside.
- In a saucepan combine milk, brown sugar, cornstarch, and egg yolks. Whisk to a boil and remove from heat when mixture is making thick bubbles and is thickened like mayonnaise.
- Place pan in a bowl filled with ice water to cool rapidly.
- Prepare streusel - combine flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt in a bowl. Grate cold butter on large “eyes” of a grater directly onto the flour mixture. Rub mixture between palms of your hands to create crumbles. Scatter crumbles onto a parchment paper lined cookie sheet and place in oven until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Let cool.
- Place a generous tablespoon of streusel on bottom of glasses or ramekins.
- Whisk cooled Irish Cream until very smooth. Add coffee/whiskey mixture. Taste Irish Cream, if you prefer more whiskey, now is the time to do it.
- Spoon cream into glasses. Sprinkle additional streusel over the Irish Cream.
- In a cold bowl, whip the heavy/whipping cream, sugar, and vanilla to medium peaks. Drop a tablespoon in each glass.
- Top with a few candied pecans.
- For chocolate sauce, combine chocolate and oil in a small bowl. Set bowl in low simmering water and stir until melted. Let cool a little before spooning into glasses.
- Place in refrigerator until ready to serve.