- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 5 eggs, room temperature
- 1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 can (12 oz) evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon or pumpkin spice
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Set a 9-inch cake (or pie) pan with 2-inch high sides inside of a larger baking pan or casserole dish (such as a 13 x 9-inch dish).
- In a small sauce pan over medium heat, melt sugar until completely dissolved. Watch carefully so it does not burn. Stir often with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula. Remove from heat when it is a dark golden, amber color.
- Immediately pour melted sugar into bottom of 9-inch cake pan, working quickly, before it hardens.
- In a blender, purée cream cheese, pumpkin, eggs, sweetened condensed milk, evaporated milk, vanilla, and cinnamon. Mix until well combined.
- Pour flan mixture into cake pan on top of hardened caramelized sauce.
- Make a water bath by pouring water into roasting pan — outside of cake pan — until water reaches half way up outside of cake pan holding flan.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until set around the edges with a slight jiggle in middle.
- Remove from oven and let flan cool in water bath, about an hour.
- Once cool, refrigerate at least 2 hours, but overnight is best.
- To serve, run a knife along edge of pan and carefully invert onto a large rimmed platter. Slice into pieces and serve.
Imperial Sugar Insight
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Jessica Segarra @TheNoviceChef.