Pumpkin French Toast Casserole
- 15 ounces pure pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 6 large eggs
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 3/4 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/3 cup Imperial Sugar Light Brown Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 8-10 cups bread* cut into 1-2 inch cubes
- Fresh whipped cream, caramel sauce, maple syrup for topping
- In a very large bowl whisk together pumpkin, eggs, cream, sugars, salt, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, and vanilla until smooth.
- Add cubed bread and mix until all of bread is coated. (Texture will vary depending on how much bread is added to mixture. Use a little less bread to make a bread pudding. More bread will taste more like French toast.)
- Cover and let chill for at least 30 minutes to allow bread to soak up custard.
- Pour mixture into a greased 9 x 13-inch baking dish.
- Bake at 350ºF for 60 minutes. Let cool for 15 minutes before serving.
- Top with maple syrup, caramel sauce, or whipped cream.
*French bread, sourdough or any bread with large holes works best. Dense bread will not soak up as much custard.
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Ashton Swank @keatseats.