Pumpkin Hand Pies
- 1/2 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- Green food coloring
- Orange liquid food coloring
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup Imperial Sugar Light Brown Sugar, packed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg, separated (yolk goes into filling, white is used on crust)
- 2 boxes (14 ounces, each) refrigerated pie crust, thawed
- Flour, for dusting
- Pour 1 1/2 tablespoons of granulated sugar into a zip top bag.
- Add a few drops of green food coloring and shake bag until sugar is evenly colored.
- Pour remaining granulated sugar into another zip top bag and do the same with the orange food coloring.
- Pour colored sugar into bowls and set aside to dry while preparing pumpkin hand pies.
- To make the pumpkin pie filling, stir together pumpkin puree, light brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice, salt, vanilla, and an egg yolk.
- Unroll pie crust onto a lightly floured work surface.
- Use a 3-inch pumpkin cookie cutter to cut out 40 pumpkins from the 4 sheets of pie crust.
- Brush egg white over 1 pie dough pumpkin.
- Spoon about 2 teaspoons of filling in middle of pumpkin and then top with another pumpkin.Use your fingers to pinch seams together to seal hand pie well.
- Place pumpkin hand pie on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- Repeat creating a total of 20 pumpkin hand pies.
- Brush tops of each pie with egg white.
- Sprinkle green sugar over stem and orange sugar over pumpkin.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 425°F.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until crust is lightly golden brown.
- Remove and allow to cool completely before serving.
Imperial Sugar Insight
Recipe created for Imperial Sugar by Beth Jackson Klosterboer at Hungry Happenings.