Puppy Love Raspberry Cupcakes
- 12 ounces frozen raspberries, thawed
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 egg whites room temperature
- 1/2 cup sour cream, room temperature
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 4 1/2 cups Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 20 jumbo red heart sprinkles (nose)
- Black candy coated chocolates (eyes)
- 2 ounces white modeling chocolate or fondant
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Place 20 cupcake liners in cupcake pans.
- Place a fine mesh sieve over a large measuring cup.
- Use a rubber spatula or back of a spoon to press down on raspberries, allowing all juice to drip into bowl. Measure out 1/2 cup of fruit puree. Save any remaining puree for another use. Sift flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a large bowl, and whisk together.
- In another bowl, whisk together egg whites and sour cream until smooth and stir in the raspberry puree.
- Add melted butter and lemon juice and whisk until well combined.
- Pour dry ingredients into wet ingredients and whisk together until combined. The batter will be slightly lumpy.
- Equally divide cupcake batter among 20 cupcake papers. Bake for 18-20 minutes until centers are springy to the touch.
- Let cupcakes cool in pan for 5 minutes then remove them and set them on a cooling wrack to cool completely.
- For Cream Cheese Frosting, beat softened cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy. Sift powdered sugar, add to bowl and stir until combined.
- Add vanilla and lemon juice. Beat until light and fluffy. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- To decorate, spoon some cream cheese frosting into a pastry bag fitted with a multi-hole grass tip.
- Pipe "fur" all over top of your cupcakes.
- Pipe a mound of frosting in the middle of the cupcake creating a dog’s snout.
- Press one jumbo red heart sprinkle onto the snout creating the dog’s nose.
- Then press two black candies above the snout for the dog’s eyes.
- Pinch off small pieces of fondant or white modeling chocolate and shape them into triangle ears.
- Press two ears onto the cupcakes just above the eyes.
- Pipe frosting fur over top of each ear.
- Refrigerate any cupcakes that are not eaten the day they are made.
If you plan to make the cupcakes ahead of time, place them in large zip-top bags and freeze them for up to 3 months. Remove them from the freezer and allow them to thaw on your counter for at least one hour before opening the bag. Frost and decorate the cupcakes the day you plan to serve them.
Recipe created for Imperial Sugar by Beth Jackson Klosterboer @Hungry Happenings.