Quick and Easy Pickled Beets
- 2 pounds beets, cleaned with 1-inch stem remaining
- 2 cups distilled white vinegar
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 4-6 bay leaves
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Put 2-3 trimmed beets into a tinfoil pouch. Drizzle with a teaspoon of olive oil and sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Roast for 40 minutes. Remove from oven, let cool, and rub skins off. Either slice or cut beets into wedges.
- Meanwhile, combine the vinegar, sugar, and water into a medium-sized sauce pan. Bring to a boil and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in salt and peppercorns.
- Divide beets between 4-6 sterilized pint size jars. Add a bay leaf to each jar and divide the brine evenly over the beets; tightly lid the jars and chill for 3-4 days before serving. Discard bay leaf. Beets will last in the fridge for up to a month.
Imperial Sugar Insight
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Kelley Epstein @Mountain Mama Cooks.