Quick Sugar Cake
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour*
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, soft
- 2/3 cup Imperial Sugar Light Brown Sugar
- 1/4 cup half and half or heavy cream
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Butter and flour a standard 9-inch square pan or use baking spray. Set aside.
- Mix together all ingredients (excluding the topping ingredients) for 1-2 minutes in a bowl using an electric mixer. Scrape batter into the prepared pan and place in oven for 22 - 24 minutes or until center of the cake bounces back when lightly pressed or when an inserted a toothpick comes out clean.
- Mix together topping ingredients and spread gently on the surface of warm baked cake. Place under the broiler on low heat.
- Broil until topping is light golden and bubbles well for about 5-10 minutes.
- Cut in squares and serve.
Imperial Sugar Insight
Level of Difficulty: Easy
Click here to see our 1972 TV commercial for My First Cookbook!
This cake is incredible! So easy to make, and so moist and delicious. A keeper!