Raspberry Cream Cheese Mousse Pie
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 2/3 cup Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 teaspoon gelatin
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 4 large egg yolks
- 4 tablespoons water
- 6 tablespoons Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1- 8 ounce package cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Crème Chantilly
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment ,mix butter and powdered sugar until well blended. Add egg and mix until well combined. Add salt and vanilla.
- Add flour in one step and mix on low speed mix until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Press dough evenly flat onto a sheet of plastic food film. Place dough in refrigerator or freezer for at least 30 minutes or until well chilled.
- Meanwhile chill the work surface area that you will be rolling dough on by placing one or 2 cookie sheets filled with ice cubes on the area.
- Set aside a 9-inch pie or tart pan.
- Sprinkle the chilled area lightly with flour and roll dough into a circle large enough to cover entire pie or tart pan. Place dough into place and remove excess. Press dough into any cracks or tears. Prick entire surface with a fork.
- Place in oven and bake until golden light brown, about 15 minutes. During the baking process the dough should not slide down on the sides. However, if any area does slide down, remove from oven and patch with a piece of remaining dough, return briefly to oven.
- In a small bowl, stir together gelatin with 1 tablespoon water and set aside.
- In a cold bowl, whisk heavy cream to soft and slightly mousse-like consistency. It is very important not to whip until it forms a peak. Set aside in the refrigerator.
- Select a saucepan and bowl which fit well together and where the bowl does not hang excessively over the saucepan. Fill the saucepan with one inch of water and bring to boil, turn to a low simmer.
- In the selected bowl, whisk together egg yolks and measured water. Add sugar and whisk well. Place the bowl over the simmering water and whisk constantly until the yolk mixture reaches 165°F. Remove from heat. (At this temperature egg yolks are safe to eat.)
- Add dissolved gelatin and whisk until combined. Add cream cheese and vanilla extract and whisk smooth.
- Add soft whipped heavy cream and gently fold into the above using a spatula
- Pour mixture into cooled pie shell and place in refrigerator.
- Chill for several hours to set. Decorate with raspberries and sprinkle with powdered sugar just prior to serving.
Imperial Sugar Insight
To save time, use a pre-made graham cracker crust for an equally great result!