Raspberry Ice Cream Cake
- Two 9-inch meringue layers
- 3 bags (12 ounces) frozen raspberries
- 1 1/2 cups filtered water
- 2 cups Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 6 tablespoons agave syrup or corn syrup
- 1 cup whipping cream
- Prepare the meringue layers omitting the chocolate chips. Best to prepare the day before to ensure meringue layers are completely cooled.
- Defrost raspberries. (Retain some in freezer to decorate cake later.) Defrost either overnight in refrigerator or on low setting in microwave. Keep temperature of berries under 70°F.
- Bring to boil water, sugar and agave syrup. Boil for 2 minutes and remove from heat. Pour in bowl and place in freezer until very cold.
- Puree raspberries until very smooth puree is obtained.
- Press puree through sieve and discard seeds. Obtain a total of 3 cups raspberry puree. Use any remaining puree to flavor drinking water.
- Combine puree with cold syrup and cold heavy cream and whisk smooth. Place in freezer until very cold.
- Meanwhile prepare ice cream machine (Follow manufactures directions.) Pouring very cold ice cream mixture into machine will shorten churning time and provide smoother and better ice cream. (Gelato, a lower fat version of ice cream, churns in professional machines in just 2-3 minutes but feels very rich on the tongue.)
- Meanwhile prepare springform pan. Place a meringue layer on bottom of pan. If needed trim meringue to fit using a serrated knife in a sawing motion. Be careful as meringue is very breakable.
- Place in freezer.
- Spread churned ice cream into springform pan covering meringue. Press second meringue layer onto ice cream and return to freezer.
- Allow to firm for at least 4 hours or overnight. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and decorate with raspberries.
If you are looking for full flavored unapologetic deeply flavored raspberry ice cream look no further. In fact this ice cream is actually more like true Italian Gelato. Sandwiched between baked meringue layers your friends will think you bought this cake in a very fancy ice cream/gelato establishment. Because of the amount of raspberries this is a slightly pricy cake but the end result is certainly worth it.