Raspberry Layer Cake
- 3 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cups Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2/3 cups milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups seedless raspberry jam
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 1/2 cup raspberry jam
- 1 pound or 3 3/4 to 4 cups Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 2 teaspoons water
- 2 drops red food coloring
- Fresh raspberries (garnish)
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray with non-stick cooking spray two 9-inch round cake pans. Mix flour, baking powder, salt and soda. Set aside.
- Beat butter and sugar in large bowl with electric mixer on high till fluffy. Beat in flour mixture, milk, vanilla, eggs and oil on medium speed until blended. Beat 2 minutes longer.
- Pour into 2 round pans. Bake 25-30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes. Turn out on wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, cream butter and raspberry jam on low speed in a large mixing bowl.
- Add powdered sugar, water and food coloring to creamed butter. Blend on low for one minute, then scrape bowl. Continue to blend on high for 2 minutes until completely mixed.
- Cut each cake round horizontally to make 2 layers each. Place one layer cut side up on cake plate and spread with 1/2 cup of raspberry jam. Top another layer cut side down with 1/2 cup raspberry frosting. Repeat with third layer. Place last layer on top and frost sides and top of cake. Pipe remaining frosting on top of cake. Garnish with fresh raspberries.