Red Hot Cookies
- 1 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup Red Hots, crushed
- 1/2 cup Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cream of tartar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla extract, mixing until combined. Add flour mixture 1/2 cup at a time, mixing until completely combined. Stir in crushed red hots until evenly distributed (either by hand or with the stand mixer).
- Place powdered sugar in a medium-sized bowl. Roll one heaping tablespoon of dough into a ball and coat in powdered sugar. Place on prepared baking sheet, leaving about 1-inch for spreading.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, until centers are set. The cookies will not look browned or cooked, but they are (they will finish cooking while cooling on the cookie sheet).
- Remove from oven and let cookies rest on baking sheet for 5 minutes. Then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Imperial Sugar Insight
- Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Jessica Segarra @TheNoviceChef.
- To crush the red hots, place in a plastic bag and smash then with a rolling pin.