Red Velvet Chocolate Cream Pie
- 30 chocolate sandwich cookies
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 3 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/4 cups Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons red food coloring
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- For Cookie Crust, crush or blend chocolate cookies into crumbs. Mix with melted butter until combined.
- Press chocolate cookie crumb mixture into 9-inch deep dish pie to create a pie crust. Set aside.
- Heat buttermilk in microwave or on stove until hot.
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together cocoa powder, sugar, cornstarch, and salt.
- Add in hot buttermilk and whisk until smooth.
- Add red food coloring and whisk.
- Cook and whisk over medium heat until mixture starts to boil. As soon as it starts to boil, start a timer for 4 minutes. Whisk for 4 minutes.
- Remove from heat and whisk in extract and butter until butter is melted.
- Pour into prepared pie crust. Cover pie with plastic wrap, letting it touch and cover top of the pie. (It'll stick to top of pie and prevent it from forming a film.)
- Refrigerate at least 6 hours, but preferably 24 hours to let flavor settle in.
- Top with Crème Chantilly (optional).
Imperial Sugar Insight
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Angie Barrett @BigBearsWife.