Red Velvet Cookie Cups with Fudge Centers
- Red Velvet Cookie Dough
- 1 1/2 cups Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, very soft
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 teaspoons red food coloring
- 1 1/2 cups mini chocolate chips
- Chocolate Filling
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter or non-stick spray a muffin tin. Set aside.
- Beat butter until very light and creamy. Add 1 1/2 cups sugar and continue mixing until light and fluffy.
- Add egg, vanilla and salt. Beat until very well combined.
- Add in red food coloring and mix well.
- Sift flour, cocoa, baking soda, and cream of tartar together. Add into wet ingredients, slowly. Mix until dough forms. Stir in mini chocolate chips.
- Take 1 1/2 tablespoon of dough and roll into ball. Use palms of hands to press dough flat and press into muffin tin in a bowl shape.
- Continue until muffin pan is full. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Use back of spoon to make a well in dough, press dough back into a cup/bowl shape.
- Let cool completely on wire rack before removing cookie from muffin tin.
- For chocolate filling - In a medium bowl, add semisweet chocolate chips. Slowly warm 1 cup heavy cream in saucepan until very hot.
- Pour cream over chocolate chips and let mixture sit, undisturbed, for 2 minutes. Then whisk together until chocolate is smooth.
- Whisk in vanilla extract.
- Chill for 1 hour.
- Remove chocolate from refrigerator and either pipe or spoon filling into cooled cookie cups.
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Angie Barrett @BigBearsWife.