Red Velvet Heart Cookies
- 2 3/4 cup all-purpose flour*
- 2 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 sticks or 1 cup unsalted butter, soft
- 1 (8 oz) package cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 1/4 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red food gel color
- 1/4 cup white candy melts or white chocolate chips
- 1 (2 oz) package candy flowers, optional
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Combine and sift together flour, cocoa powder, and baking powder. Set aside.
- With hand held mixer or stand mixer beat soft butter and cream cheese until completely blended.
- Add sugar and mix until light and creamy. Add egg yolk, vanilla extract, salt, and red food color.
- Add sifted ingredients and mix until dough forms, do not over mix.
- Press dough 1/4-inch thick on a cookie sheet lined with plastic food film and place in refrigerator or freezer until firm enough to be rolled, about 20-45 minutes.
- Roll dough about 1/8-inch thick on a lightly floured surface. Cut using a heart shaped cookie cutter and place on parchment lined cookies sheets about 1/4-inch apart.
- Before placing in the oven ensure that all flour traces are brushed off cookies. Leftover flour will create a streaked look on the baked cookies.
- Place in oven and bake until surface is set but is still soft, about 10-11 minutes.
- Let cool completely before proceeding.
- Melt white candy melts as described by manufacturer. Fill a small piping bag with a # 2 pastry tip or use a small paper cone with a small amount of the tip cut off.
- Pipe lace squiggles onto cookies and decorate with a candy flower if desired.